These muffins are soft, sweet and loaded with chocolate chips and bananas. They would be great plain, but are even better with their brown sugar chocolate chip crumb topping.Jump to Recipe
These chocolate chip muffins are a game changer. No more can we settle for plain muffins. We need as much flavor and sweetness as we can pack into one little muffin. And these muffins do just that. How do these muffins change the muffin game? With their brown sugar chocolate chip crumb topping. Game. Changer.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
The muffins themselves are sweet and soft, and filled with bananas and chocolate chips. The ingredients you’ll need for the banana chocolate chip muffins are…
- About 3 large bananas
- 1 egg
- Vegetable Oil
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips
How to Make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping
These muffins have a big taste, but they’re easy to make. You need two bowls, a whisk and a spoon or spatula. That’s it!
Step 1: Mash your bananas
Mash your 3 large, ripe bananas with a fork in the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add your oil, sugars, and vanilla.
In a medium mixing bowl add the vegetable oil, both sugars, and vanilla, and whisk well.
Step 3: Add your dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
Add the remaining dry ingredients and chocolate chips into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Be sure to not over mix.
Step 4: Line your muffin pan with muffin liners and fill with batter.
Place muffin liners into your muffin pan. Using a cookie scoop, fill the muffin liners about 3/4 way full, leaving room for the crumb topping.
How to Make Brown Sugar Crumb Topping for Muffins
Step 1: Melt the butter.
In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the butter in 30 second increments until completely melted.
Step 2: Add sugars to the butter.
Add both sugars to your melted butter and stir.
Step 3: Add the flour and cinnamon.
Finally, add the flour and cinnamon to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until a soft crumbly dough forms.
Step 4: Add crumb topping to muffins and bake.
Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of the crumb topping onto each muffin. Add a few chocolate chips over the crumb topping and bake muffins for about 25 minutes.
How to Store Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container. These muffins do not have to be refrigerated.
Can these muffins be frozen?
You can absolutely make these muffins ahead of time and freeze. After making the muffins and allowing them to cool completely, place the muffins in a plastic freezer bag and place them in the freezer. When your ready to eat the muffins, take out the freezer bag and let the muffins thaw on the counter.
More Recipes You’ll Love
Chocolate Chip Muffins with Crumb Topping
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/s tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, large
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated, white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top
- 6 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white granulate sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. Set aside.
- Mash bananas in the bottom of a medium size bowl.
- Add vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla to bananas and mix.
- Add egg into banana mixture and stir until egg is thouroughly combined.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and fold into batter. Be careful not to over mix.
- Add a scoop of muffin batter to each muffin liner.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add sugars and vanilla, and mix until combined.
- Stir in flour and cinnamon until a crumbly mixture is formed.
- Crumble 1 tbsp. of crumb topping and sprinkle more chocolate chips onto each muffin before baking.
- Bake muffins for 22-25 minutes. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container.