You’ll never want to buy store bought whipped cream again after making your own homemade whipped cream from scratch. It’s delicious and easy to whip up with only 3 ingredients.
How do you make whipped cream from scratch?
Making whipped cream from scratch is really easy to do. You only need 3 ingredients; heavy cream, confectioners sugar and vanilla. You’ll mix those ingredients together until stiff peaks begin to form.
Can you make whipped cream without heavy cream?
There are recipes out there that use milk instead of cream, but using milk will not make a thick and creamy whipped cream. I prefer my whipped cream rich and creamy so I use heavy cream.
Is whipping cream the same as heavy cream?
Basically yes. Heavy cream does have a slightly higher fat content than whipping cream, so using heavy cream will make your whipped cream thicker. If you want to pipe your whipped cream you’ll want to use heavy cream so it will be thick and hold it’s shape.
Tips for making homemade whipped cream.
There are a couple of expert tips you should know before making whipped cream from scratch.
- Freeze you bowl and mixing attachment for 10 minutes before making whipped cream. Keeping your equipment and ingredients cold will help form your stiff peaks.
- Watch your mixing time. Mix your whipped cream just until peaks start to form. If you mix too long, it will turn out mushy and buttery, not fluffy.
Can you whip cream by hand?
If you only need a small amount of whipped cream you can whip the cream with a whisk by hand. But if you need a large amount, it’s much easier to do with a mixer.
How long does it take to whip cream to stiff peaks?
It usually takes about 8 to 9 minutes. If you whip cream too long, you’ll be on your way to making butter! So watch your timer!
Why is my whipping cream not thickening?
Your ingredients may be too warm. Make sure you put your bowl and mixing attachment in the freezer for about 10 minutes before making whipped cream.
Why is my whipped cream runny?
If you’re whipped cream is runny it’s probably because you have not whipped it long enough. Whip it for a couple more minutes until peaks begin to form.
How to store homemade whipped cream?
Left over whipping cream should be stored in the fridge since it’s a dairy product and can easily spoil. It should last about 3-4 days stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
Try your homemade whipped cream with my Lemon Tart recipe!
Homemade Whipped Cream From Scratch
- cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Place mixing bowl and attachments in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Beat the whipping cream in th mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until well combined. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigeratior.