Galaxy cupcakes are colorful and beautifully decorated cupcakes that remind you of a colorfully lit night sky. Make your own with this easy to follow tutorial.
How to Make Galaxy Cupcakes
Galaxy cupcakes are part of the galaxy trend that started a few years back. These galaxy decorated desserts are decorated with black, bright blues and purples, and shiny sprinkles that remind you of the colorful night sky. They’re not as complicated to make as they seem. Keep reading and I’ll show you exactly how.
What you need:
- Cupcakes…of course. Use your favorite cupcake recipe for these galaxy cupcakes. Vanilla, chocolate or colored cupcakes will work perfectly.
- Vanilla buttercream…I used my favorite vanilla American buttercream for these cupcakes. You can get the recipe here.
- Food coloring…You’ll be coloring your vanilla buttercream to get the galaxy look. Pick 3 colors that you want to use in your frosting. I like to use gel food coloring. They have brighter colors, last longer, and are easy to work with. For my cupcakes I used Americolor electric pink, Americolor electric blue, and Americolor electric purple.
- A large piping bag….you’ll be adding all 3 frosting colors into your piping bag so make sure it’s a large one! These are my favorite piping bags. If you prefer disposable ones, these are great ones too.
- Open star piping tip…also called a 1M piping tip. This is the piping tip that gives cupcakes that really nice swirl of frosting.
- Sprinkles…For my cupcakes I used Sweetopolita sprinkles. I love all of her sprinkles. There are also a lot of options on Amazon like these.
How to Make Galaxy Frosting for Cupcakes
Now that you have all of your ingredients and supplies it’s time to get making these beauties! After making your vanilla buttercream, separate the buttercream in 3 separate bowls. Add your 1 color of food coloring to each bowl and mix, so that your buttercream looks like this…
Next, place your 1M piping tip into your large piping bag. Beginning with one color, spoon icing into the side of the piping bag.
Repeat with each color icing. Your piping bag should look like this…
How to Decorate Galaxy Cupcakes
Test your galaxy frosting by piping icing onto parchment paper until your colors come out evenly creating a tie-dye effect. After your colors come out evenly, pipe swirls of buttercream onto your cupcakes.
Next it’s time to add the Sprinkles. I love using Sweetopolita sprinkles.
And you should have gorgeously decorated galaxy cupcakes!
More Recipes You’ll Love